The Hacienda Heights Improvement Association
September 17, 2012
LOCATION: Hacienda La Puente Unified School District, 15959 E. Gale Ave., Industry, CA
MEETING STARTED: 7:00 PM
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIENCE: The Pledge was led by Rudy Littrell
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:
John Eckman, Maury Edwards, Chris Kakimi, Shan Lee, Jeffrey Lin, Brent Palmer, Lucy Pedregon, Mike Williams, Jeff Yann, Hanny Zamora
MINUTES: Minutes of the August 20, 2012 meeting were approved on motion by MauryEdwards, seconded by Lucy Pedregon.
TREASURER’s REPORT: Expenditures of $315.16 for membership and newsletter expenses were recorded. Receipts of $96.11 were recorded from interest and reimbursements for name plates from Hanny Zamora, Jeffrey Lin, Maury Edwards, and Adria Ybarra. These receipts, plus a contribution of $2,000 from Supervisor Knabe resulted in an account balance of $7,394.56..
LAW ENFORCEMENT UPDATE:
CHP Officer Al Perez introduced Officer Ramos who is in charge of the local COPS team. He also reported that 50 DUI arrests were made in Hacienda Heights in August, many on the Pomona Freeway. He also reported two stolen vehicles during this period.
Town Sheriff Brian Sanford stated that two purse snatchings were reported, one in morning hours and the other in the evening, and warned women to be alert at all times, particularly when exiting their vehicles. He also described the apprehension of 5 suspects from other neighborhoods with tools typically used in residential burglaries.
Ms. Debbie Enos, Watershed Conservation Authority’s Project Manager for the Duck Farm Park Project, provided a program describing status of the project and construction activities for Phase 1a, which is expected to be complete for public access in 2014. She also presented renderings of future phases, including incorporation of ideas developed during community planning meetings, which will be completed as soon as funding is available.
Mr. Keith Gardner reported on revisions to the permit application for the Aztecas Restaurant to serve liquor and provide limited entertainment in response to comments raised by Board members at the August Meeting. Following further comments at the meeting, they propose operating hours from 10 AM to 9 PM Monday through Thursday and 10 AM to 1:30 AM Friday through Sunday with last alcohol service at 1 AM. They have increased security personnel in the evenings. Dickie Simmons praised their work in reducing homeless activities from parking areas behind their building. Their permit application will be heard by Regional Planning on October 10. On motion of Lucy Pedregon, seconded by Brent Palmer, the Board voted unanimously to send a letter of support.
Dickie Simmons reported that he will be riding in Rowland Heights’ Buckboard Days Parade on October 20.
Dickie also presented copies of the agenda item for the San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments requesting five more years of operation of the Puente Hills Landfill and Supervisor Knabe’s strong letter of opposition to this proposal. This issue was discussed further under the Environmental Committee report.
Amy Boteilho reported that 50 people attended the September 5, 2012 event celebrating the 100th anniversary of the creation of the County Library System. She also reported on future events at the Hacienda Heights Library.
NEW BUSINESS: John Eckman reported that Shan Lee and Lucy Pedregon will serve as the nominating committee for 2013. At least one candidate will be required to replace Shan Lee, who has served three terms.
- Code Enforcement: Brent Palmer: Summarized information on the many items he is following per his written report
- Community Relations: Hanny Zamora: Reported on the many activities in which Kiwanis is involved as well as events at the Homestead Museum. She also reminded the Board that the U. S. Constitution was adopted 225 years ago on this date.
- Environment & Water: Jeff Yann: Reported that the SGVCOG is considering action to extend the closure date of the Puente Hills Landfill to October 31, 2018. He provided a summary of landfill operations and impacts over the past 32 years and urged support for Supv. Knabe’s letter.
MOTION: HHIA will send a letter of support to Supervisor Knabe for his actions on behalf of Hacienda Heights residents to maintain the October 31, 2013 closure date for the Puente Hills Landfill. Moved by Chris Kakimi, seconded by Maury Edwards, the motion passed unanimously.
- Membership: Adria Ybarra: No report
- Newsletter: John Eckman: A newsletter was distributed in September.
- Parks & Recreation: Maury Edwards: Reported on Pet Adoption Day at Schabarum Park and provided names of Eagle Scouts recognized for their projects. He also reported on the Park Watch Program, which encourages reporting of suspicious activities in parks.
- Programs & Website Chris Kakimi: Program for September will feature Director Ed Chavez of the Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District..
- Public Relations Mike Williams: Reported that the Hacienda Heights Albertson’s Market, along with other nearby stores, is closing in November.
- Public Safety & Health: Lucy Pedregon: Provided information on the importance of reporting food illness experienced after dining in local restaurants, along with contact information..
- Streets & Highways: Jeffrey Lin The new retaining wall on Colima is largely complete and lane closures have ended. Seventh Avenue reconstruction will start on September 25.
- Water & Utility Services: Joan Licari: No report
- Zoning: Shan Lee: Reported that a hearing is scheduled for a home development project between Via Cielo and Vallecito Ave. He continues to have concerns about garage conversions.
Reported on several upcoming Planning Commission hearings.
PUBLIC INPUT: No input provided
ADJOURNMENT: Meeting adjourned at 9:35 P.M.
PREPARED BY: Jeff Yann, Secretary